Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Grilled Artichokes

Ooooooh YUM. I LOVE ARTICHOKES! This is one of my absolute FAVORITE dishes ever. It is a perfect side dish and half an artichoke is all you need as a side for one person. We made this completely ridiculous three inch thick T-bone steak on Monday night and this meal just about made my week. We had another couple over for dinner and even managed to convert one of them into an artichoke man! We love turning people onto food they wouldn't normally eat! Whenever the hubs is gone I will make one of these babies and eat the whole thing for a delicious dinner. If you don't feel like grilling it or cutting it in half you can also just boil it until the outer leaves start falling off easily. I usually do it for about 30-45 minutes. Some people steam them but I like them nice and cooked through so I can scrape the meat off easily with my choppers. I will also include broiling instructions in case you don't have an urge to go outside either for cold or heat.

This is an easy and inexpensive side dish in my opinion. In Houston anyhow they run around $1.50 so that's 75 cents a person for a side. To serve I bought some little bowls from Pier One and put Italian dressing with a little extra red wine vinegar and capers in it. Whatever you're favorite salad dressing is will be delicious! Enjoy!

Grilled Artichokes Printable Version
By: Moi!

Ingredients:
  
1 large artichoke 
1 tablespoon of olive oil
salt
pepper
salad dressing of your choice

Directions:

1. Cut the artichoke in half, trim the stem, and cut off the tips where the pointy needle like tips are. Be careful I have cut myself on these before.


2. Take a small knife (such as a paring knife) and cut out the choke (hairy part between the stem/heart and the leaves). Also remove the inside purple leaves. They can also be sharp be careful! 


3. In a large pot boil water seasoned with salt. Place the artichokes in the boiling water for about 20 minutes.

4. Broiling: Place the artichokes cut side up in a baking pan, drizzle olive over it and season with salt and pepper. Place under the broiler for about 5 minutes. Watch the artichoke closely. You will notice the edges starting to char a little when it's ready. 

Grilling: Drizzle olive oil over the cut side of the artichoke and season with salt and pepper. Then place them cut side down on a hot preheated grill. Grill them for about 5 to 10 minutes but watch them. You will know it's finished when the edges char.


5. Plate the artichokes and enjoy! 

Oh and below I have placed photos of our super amazing meal from Monday :)



1 comment:

  1. I made these last night under the broiler with a homemade italian dressing and they were fantastic! Ran across this dairy free hot cocoa recipe and thought of you. Thinking about giving it a shot!

    http://www.elanaspantry.com/peppermint-hot-chocolate/

    ReplyDelete