Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tomato, Basil and Sausage with Penne Pasta

I served this for a dinner party and it was a complete success!! You could do this with any kind of sausage you like but I chose to use turkey sausage for this time around. It is an easy sauce that made my entire house smell deelish!


The recipe on here is based on a Cooking Light recipe I found. I changed it a little bit to make it a little more saucy. One of my favorite things to do is find sauces in the jar and doctor them up a bit! I cooked for six people and everything was gone!


To go with this pasta and sauce I served a salad with mixed greens, bell pepper, sunburst tomatoes, green onion and croutons with balsamic vinaigrette. I also served it with warm italian bread with margarine and garlic salt!


Tomato, Basil and Sausage with Penne Pasta
From Cooking Light
Printable Version




  • Ingredients:
  • 1 box uncooked penne
  • 1 pkg sweet Italian turkey sausage (about 6 large links)
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 medium vertically sliced onion
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 14.5 oz can of tomatoes
  • 1 cup of your favorite jarred tomato sauce ( I used Newman's Own Tomato Basil )
  • salt
  • black pepper
  • 3/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
Directions:

1. Cook pasta according to directions.


2. Remove sausage from casings. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add sausage to it. Cook for about 4 minutes stirring to crumble the sausage. Then add onion, can of tomatoes, and garlic for about 4 minutes.










3. Add 1 cup of your favorite jarred tomato sauce, fresh tomatoes and red pepper. Stir it all together and let it simmer over medium heat for about 30 minutes. If you want.. a splash of wine or beer will help to blend the flavors. If it reduces by too much add about a quarter cup of pasta water!
















4. Season with salt and pepper, remove from heat, stir in fresh basil and serve over pasta!




Enjoy!!




I forgot to take a picture of the fixed plates so I took a picture of the aftermath! I do believe this is success  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment