Thursday, August 25, 2011

Citrus Soy Drumsticks

As a preface to this dish... My first apartment in New York City was crazy hot and I moved in at the end of January. Naturally, the best way to cure steam heat in the winter is to open the window and I happened to live above an insanely delicious Chinese food restaurant. While I lived there the cravings I had for Chinese food would make you think I was pregnant with triplets. Ever since, every once in a while I get a crazy craving for Chinese food (I'm not pregnant with triplets! Don't worry Scott!). However, after watching my rear expand eating Chinese take-out twice a week I decided to search for something a little healthier. Hence, the Citrus Soy Drumsticks!

I had a hard time finding something to go with it though. I thought about attempting a healthy vegetable fried rice but I wasn't sure if I would have enough time and I opted for a mixed greens salad with mandarin oranges and a choice of balsamic vinaigrette and a ginger dressing I snagged from from Kroger. I also managed to dig up some asparagus in the fridge and cooked those up right quick. I'm sure there are things that would go better with this but that's what I came up with!

This could also made with drumettes for an appetizer. Two Pounds should be about right! As always I changed up the recipe a bit but the link to the original is below.

I found it on Cooking light!


  • 6 chicken drumsticks , skinned
    4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger halved (I use a medium grater instead of chopping)
    Cooking spray
    2 cup sake (rice wine) halved - You can
    2/3 cup fresh orange juice halved
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    6 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce halved
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice ( I always use fresh. I think the bottled stuff tastes funny)
    1/4 cup chopped green onions

1. Combine 2 tablespoons of fresh ginger, 1/3 cup OJ, 1 cup of sake, and 3 tablespoons of soy sauce in a bowl. Marinate the drumsticks in this mixture for at least 30 minutes.



2. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and brown the drumsticks on all sides over medium high heat with 2 tablespoons of fresh ginger. About 6 minutes



3. Add other halves of 1/3 cup OJ, 1 cup of sake, and 3 tablespoons of soy sauce as well as 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the chicken. Cover and cook for one minute, then simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.



4. Remove the chicken from the pan. I put it in a tupperware container and in the microwave.



5. Bring the sauce to a boil and reduce to about half a cup or until it is thickened to the point where it will stick to the chicken. The recipe says about 5 minutes but it always takes me longer than what they said. I'm guessing about 10... however I did want more sauce. Reduce it until it looks and tastes good to you! That's always my plan!

6. Once the sauce is reduced add the chicken back to the skillet and coat each drumstick. Afterwards add the green onions and serve!



A serving could be either one of two drumsticks. Two of my guests had one and two of my guests had two. Entirely personal preference.

Enjoy!!

ME


No comments:

Post a Comment