Monday, August 22, 2011

Crock Pot Pulled BBQ Chicken!

Last night I had some my husband's family over for Sunday dinner. I had all day to prepare and that was a good thing! I like to serve a large crowd buffet style because it is easier and everyone is free to choose what they like and how much they like. For whatever reason I am terrible at proportions and pretty much always make way too much food! The buffet style also always looks pretty too. One of the advantages of this meal is everything was easy to make in advance. When all of our guests arrived I was able to sit down and enjoy a glass of wine and appetizers with everyone else before I moved the crock pot to the island and toasted the buns.

In this post is my new favorite Pulled BBQ Chicken recipe I found on Food.com, and in the following post a light potato salad that is my new favorite! I also served a big tossed salad (with cheese on the side) and mixed berries with fat free cool whip for desert!

PULLED BBQ CHICKEN Printable Recipe Here!
From Food.com by justcallmetoni
http://www.food.com/recipe/pulled-chicken-sandwiches-crock-pot-242547#ixzz1Qs3ZLiLe

First of all... Meet my best friend yesterday! Stubb's Original Bar B-Q Sauce. Please know I also modified justcallmetoni's recipe and will post my modifications instead of her original recipe. I doubled the sauce (I loooooove sauce!) and used a whole chicken instead of breasts. I feel cooking it bone on and with skin helps the flavor of it. Also, I looove dark meat...



Ingredients:
1 medium onion or 1/2 large onion, sliced
1 whole chicken cut into quarters (if it is not in the chicken section you can ask your butcher to quarter one)
Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
1 cup of your favorite bbq sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoon yellow mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Tobasco sauce
Liberal dash of salt or Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning

1. Cut the onion into thin half rings and line the bottom of the crock pot with the onions.


2. Rinse the raw chicken and place on top of the onions in the crock pot.


3. Mix all of the ingredients for the sauce and pour over the chicken covering it.


4. Put the crock pot on Low for six hours, or if you need to get it done a little sooner on High for four hours. To help make sure the sauce does not get too watered down I place a paper towel or two under the lid to soak up some of the excess moisture. Check it every once in a while if you can because it will need changing!


5. I check it around five hours (or three for high) and usually the chicken is done by then. I snag a bowl, a bag and cutting board and take the chicken out one piece at a time to shred it. Put the shredded chicken in a bowl and the unusable parts in the bag for disposal.



6. After the all the chicken is shredded mix it back with the sauce and let is simmer for another hour. If your sauce is looking too watery even with the paper towel (and you have guests arriving in 30 minutes like I did the second time I made this.. First time it was fine!), take off the top and turn it up if it is on Low and let some of the water cook out.


7. Before serving I put margarine on both the top and bottom of the buns with a sprinkle of garlic powder and put them under the broiler for a little bit to get them nice and toasty.


I also put out pickled okra and pickled jalapenos which were both a hit with the sandwiches!


Enjoy! It's an easy meal to do and you can make the sauce the night before so in the morning you can just put it all in the pot and get on your way!

ME

No comments:

Post a Comment