Monday, October 3, 2011

Turkey Tacos!





I clearly went on a turkey kick the other weekend... The turkey sausage sauce was on Friday night and we had turkey tacos on Sunday! I consider myself to be very lucky to have friends that were willing to participate in both turkey events :)


I was inspired to attempt the turkey tacos after a friend of mine made some for the hubs and me. I was delighted when I realized I couldn't tell it was turkey!


I searched and searched for a recipe and found one that looked about like what I wanted and I also changed it up to add some things I thought would make it more delicious!


I served 5 with this recipe with no leftovers. For appetizers chips and salsa is perfect and I served it with a salad.


Turkey Tacos
Food Network
Printable Version


Ingredients: 



  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced (you can adjust this to your taste)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 14.5 oz chopped canned tomatoes
  • 1 pkg ground turkey
  • 1 can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (I used 5 pepper out of it)
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
  • 12 (5-inch) corn tortillas, preferably white, or prepared taco shells
Toppings:
2 avocados - sliced
your favorite salsa
pepper jack cheese for the guests who can have dairy!

Directions:

1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat with oil and add the onions, garlic and jalapenos. Cook until the onions become translucent, around 8 minutes. Then increase the heat to medium high and add the ground turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon to allow it to crumble.


2. Once the turkey has cooked through and has crumbled add the can of tomatoes and 5 chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I also added a splash of white wine to blend the flavors. Allow the liquid to boil and bring to a simmer until it thickens but is not dry.







3. Finally, stir in the cilantro and prepare the corn tortillas by baking them at 350 for about 5 minutes. When they start to feel al little stiff you will know they are ready. Take them out and immediately bend them like prepared taco shells before they cool!


4. Top them as you please and enjoy!


Or if you're a very hungry man...


ME


No comments:

Post a Comment